Thursday, 6 September 2012

Coffee and Walnut Cake

My mum and I like to go out for coffee every so often as a treat, and this last Saturday we went to this nice little coffee shop in town, called Caffe Chai. It was just the typical type of cafe, with drinks, snacks and cakes (yum). Obviously, we had to have the cake. I had their chocolate fudge cake, while my mum had the coffee and walnut cake, her favourite!

I think I should add here that my mum is my cake tester when I'm baking. I'm always asking her what she thinks of my cakes, and from her suggestions I figure out how to improve my baking, normally with brilliant results. So it's understandable why she ended up doing this with the shop cake. She decided that it was too sweet, a bit dry, and the coffee taste was really weak. I think the only bit she did like was the buttercream. 

I listened to her of course, and decided that I'd have a go at baking this cake. Which I did the next day. It's safe to say that the cake didn't last a day, it was quickly gobbled up by everyone. However, my mum decided it still didn't have a strong coffee flavour, and asked me to make a second cake the next day. Which of course I did.


I got the recipe from the BBC Food website (I love that website way too much)

Ingredients:
225g unsalted butter
225g caster sugar
3 eggs
225g self-raising flour
100ml strong coffee
handful of chopped walnuts

For the buttercream:
125g unsalted butter
250g icing sugar
50ml strong coffee
walnut halves to decorate

Method:
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar together, until pale and fluffy.
Add the eggs one at a time, beating the mixture each time.
Then add half the flour mixture, mix, and add half the coffee, beating the mixture. Then add the rest of the flour and coffee, mixing thoroughly.
To finish add the chopped walnuts and mix.
Spoon the mixture into two lined and greased 9in cake tins, and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown, and a skewer comes out clean when put into the cake.
Leave to cool on a wire rack.
To prepare the buttercream icing, beat the butter and icing sugar together until it's pale and fluffy, and then add the coffee to taste.
Once the cake is cool, spread the buttercream on the top of each cake, and put one cake on top of the other.
Place walnut halves on the top to decorate.

Enjoy with a nice cup of coffee, and you're all set.

No comments:

Post a Comment