Thursday, 3 January 2013

Crisp Flatbread

I love crackers. Sometimes I think I love them more than bread, and I really love bread.
I don't even need to have a topping at times, I just eat them by themselves, because they are just so full of flavour!

I had flatbread crackers a few months ago, just to try them out, and I instantly fell in love with them. They are perfect when served with houmous, and they're really nice for soup as an alternative to bread.
They're nice and crunchy, and so tasty as well.

So instead of buying some this week, I thought I'd have a go at making some. Which meant I had to dig through the cupboards for the seed packets. I finally managed to find some sesame, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, but obviously any other seeds in your cupboard would do just as well.

Ingredients:
220g Plain Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
1/2tsp Salt
85ml Olive Oil
130ml Water
Handfull of various seeds

Method:
 Preheat the oven to 230C/450F/Gas Mark 8.
In a bowl, add the flour, salt and baking powder, and mix.
Make a well in the middle, before adding the water and oil.
Stir together, forming a dough, before kneading on a floured surface a couple of times.
Divide the dough into three or four equal pieces. 
Pour a handfull of seeds onto the worktop, take one ball of dough, and knead the seeds into the dough.
Roll out the ball with a rolling pin until the dough is very thin. It doesn't matter about the shape.
Place the dough onto an oiled baking tray, and bake in the oven for 10 minutes, or until it's golden brown.
Once cooked, place onto a wiring rack to cool, before breaking the flatbread into smaller pieces.
Repeat this with the other dough balls.

Result: A load of crackers ready to eat. 
Either eat straight away, or get some dips out of the fridge.

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog! I too love crackers, and bread so am gonna have to try these! xx

    http://rainingcakeandcookies.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bread, too! These look so wonderful. yum!!

    ReplyDelete