Wednesday, 16 January 2013

Flavoured Vodka

Well, university has started again. Which means two weeks of exams. Joy.
This year I thought I would make something that I could look forward to once exams had finished.
And as I'm a student, that tends to mean only one thing.

Hence, the flavoured vodkas.
My housemate and I love cocktails, we make them every so often at home, and we go out to this lovely cocktail bar at least once a term. 
So I thought I'd make my cocktails a bit snazzier by using home-made flavoured vodka.

Obviously, vodka is considered a bit of a blank-canvas, so there are a number of flavours that can be used.
I decided to start this batch off with raspberry, blueberry, pomegranate and mint. 


I think it's important to use a good vodka, nothing too cheap, and to use ingredients which have either a strong or sweet flavour.

Making infused vodka is really easy.
Using some clean airtight jars, like an old jam jar, put a handful of the chosen ingredient into the jar, and pour in the vodka until the jar is full.
Leave the jars in a cool place for 3-7 days, depending on what ingredients your using (e.g. herbs like mint should only take three days, but berries can take up to a week to infuse).
Make sure to shake the jars a couple of times a day, just to help the infusion.
Once you think the vodka has infused enough, filter the vodka into a measuring jug to get rid of bits.
Then just transfer the vodka back into the jars.


I can not wait for the next week to go so that I can try these out.
Mmmm, cocktails!

1 comment:

  1. WoW! That looks awesome! Never thought vodka could have so many flavours and could look that pretty :)

    ReplyDelete