Sunday, 27 January 2013

Homemade Coffee Syrups

I can't believe I'm about to admit this, but I've become addicted to coffee.
And all it took were two weeks of exams.
One of my friends has been trying to tempt me for a while, but I've been resisting him.
Until now. Now I've joined the dark side.
And I love it! 

Now I can go into Starbucks, and where before I was limited to a few items (i.e. hot chocolate or frappuccino), I can now order nearly anything and enjoy it.
I think I've fallen in love with their Caramel Macchiato, it's just delicious.

So this lead me to thinking about buying some coffee syrups, but then I saw somewhere about making them. They are so easy to make, and cheaper to make than to buy.

I've gone with the most popular flavours: vanilla and caramel.
Obviously there are plenty of other flavours, like raspberry, chocolate, even cinnamon for during winter .

Vanilla Syrup Ingredients:
300ml Water
225g Caster Sugar
1-2tsp Vanilla Extract

Caramel Syrup Ingredients:
300ml Water
100g Caster Sugar
125g Brown Sugar

Method:
In a small saucepan, pour in the water, sugar and any extra flavourings.
Turn on the hob, and heat until boiling.
Stir the mixture occasionally.
Once the mixture is boiling vigorously, turn down to a simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Once done, turn off the heat, and leave to cool for a few minutes.
Put a funnel into the top of your syrup dispenser, and slowly pour the syrup into the bottle.
Leave to cool completely before using.

When adding to coffee, just add a teaspoon or two, depending on how sweet you like your coffee.
Store the syrups in a cupboard, and they should keep for a month or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment