Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Sweet Madeleines

While I'm at university, I tend to miss when a new shop opens back home. When I got home last summer, it was a new french patisserie/cafe (which has since closed, which is a shame because I thought it was quite good). So when I got home a month ago for Christmas, I had to drive through town. And there I found a new cooking shop, full of all of the essential equipment for any kitchen. I kind of made it my goal to go in at least once before going back to university. 

So today I had to go into town, and as I drove past the shop, I saw a huge sign in the window, saying "20% off everything". So of course, not missing out on a bargain, I parked up and went in. 
I instantly fell in love with the shop, it was full of so many different things, like silicone and metal baking trays, multiple cookie cutters, a huge variety of kitchen utensils. It had literally everything!

While looking around, I saw some silicone madeleine cake moulds. I've always wanted to make madeleines, but I never had the correct cake tin, and they were too expensive to buy from the local shops. But now I had found the correct tin for a decent price, and so I bought it. Finally, I could make some madeleines.

I decided to make them in a couple of flavours: vanilla and honey, and triple chocolate.

Vanilla and Honey Madeleines
Ingredients:
100g Plain Flour
100g Caster Sugar
100g Unsalted Butter
1 egg (separated)
1tbsp Honey
1tsp Vanilla Extract

Method:
Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5, and grease the madeleine tin.
Put the flour and sugar in a bowl, and mix.
In a separate bowl, melt the butter, and add the honey, vanilla extract and the egg yolk. 
Mix thoroughly, and fold into the flour mixture.
Whisk the egg whites until stiff, and fold into the cake mix a bit at a time.
Place a large spoonful of the cake mix into the madeleine moulds.
Put the tray in the oven, and bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are golden brown.
Leave the tray for a few minutes, before popping out the cakes onto a wiring rack to cool.

Triple Chocolate Madeleines
Ingredients:
75g Plain Flour
25g Cocoa Powder
100g Unsalted Butter
100g Caster Sugar
1 egg (separated)
Handfull of Plain, Milk and White Chocolate Chips

Method:
Use most of the method above, except for:
When putting the flour and sugar in the bowl, add the cocoa powder as well. 
After adding the melted butter, add the chocolate chips and mix thoroughly.

These are delicious with a cup of coffee, the perfect bite-size treat!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog, these look gorgeous!! yummmmmm... xx

    ReplyDelete