Tuesday, 19 February 2013

Lemon and Poppy Seed Drizzle Cake

I love citrus fruits, I just think they are so refreshing.
Now I use limes quite frequently when I'm making Thai Green Curry (yummy), but my lemons have just been collecting up in my cupboard.
So today I decided to use a couple of them up, which meant looking for recipes.
And the first one that came to mind was Lemon Drizzle.

When I was searching through my cupboards, I also found some poppy seeds, and we all now how well poppy seeds go with lemons.
So this cake is a bit of a mixture between lemon drizzle and lemon &  poppy seed muffins.
Ingredients:
180g Plain Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
180g Caster Sugar
2 Eggs
50ml Milk
150ml Sunflower Oil
Zest and Juice from 1 Lemon

Icing:
3tbsp Icing Sugar
Juice from 1/2 Lemon

Method:
Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas Mark 3, and grease and line a 4lb loaf tin.
In a large bowl, sieve in the flour and baking powder, before adding the caster sugar and lemon zest.
In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, lemon juice and oil.
Once thoroughly mixed, add to the flour, and stir.
Pour the mixture into the loaf tin, and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes.
While the cake is cooking, prepare the icing.
Sieve the icing sugar into a small bowl, and add the lemon juice. Mix thoroughly until it forms a thick paste.
Once the cake has cooled, drizzle the icing over the cake.

And that's it! Such a simple cake, and an easy way to use up lemons.

No comments:

Post a Comment