Sunday, 10 February 2013

Starbucks-Style Ginger Muffins

As I mentioned in my coffee syrup post, I have recently found a love for coffee. This, of course, led me to taking a trip to Starbucks while out shopping with a friend, where I had a Caramel Macchiato (my favourite), and a 'Skinny Ginger Muffin'.
Now I like most of the muffins found in coffee shops, like the popular lemon and poppy seed, and white chocolate and raspberry. However, this was the first time I'd seen the ginger muffin, so I decided to give it a go.

I swear, it was one of the best muffins I've ever had.
It was just perfect. The ginger flavour was not too overpowering, and the muffin itself was light and airy.
I loved it that much, that when I got home, I had to look up on the internet to see if anyone had tried to re-create the recipe. And luckily for me, I found one here.
Unfortunately, due to my work load suddenly increasing, today was the first chance I had to experiment.
Makes 12 Muffins.
Ingredients:
250g Plain Flour
3tsp Baking Powder
225g Caster Sugar
3tsp Ginger Powder
100g Crystallised Ginger (finely chopped)
3tbsp Golden Syrup
100g Butter (melted)
2 Eggs
250ml Milk

Icing:
125g Icing Sugar
1tsp Ginger Powder
5-6tbsp Water

Method:
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6, and place muffin cases in a bun tray.
In a bowl, put in the flour, baking powder, ginger powder, caster sugar and the crystallised ginger.
In a separate bowl, put in the butter and golden syrup, and melt in the microwave (or do this on the hob and then place in the bowl).
Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes, before adding the milk and eggs, and mix thoroughly.
Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture, and combine together.
Fill the muffin cases with the muffin mix, until the cases are 2/3 full.
Place the tray in the oven, and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
Place the muffins on a wire rack to cool.
While cooling, make the icing, but sieving the icing sugar and ginger powder into a bowl, and adding the water a bit at a time, until you form a thick(ish) paste.
Once the muffins have cooled, spread the icing onto the muffins.
I had to make myself a cup of coffee as soon as they were ready, just to make it feel like the first time.

2 comments:

  1. We are having a bit of a dull day in Sydney today, these would be fantastic with a cup of tea right now to brighten it up. Yummy!

    http://squibtoday.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. these sound fantastically delicious. especially the frosting... i would love to bite into one of them right about now. xD

    love, x
    blog | twitter

    ReplyDelete