Friday, 7 March 2014

Homemade Churros with Chocolate Sauce

So I realised one day while browsing through Pinterest, as you do, that I was 21 years old, and I've never eaten a churro. I've wanted to of course, but they've just never made themselves available to me. You can't get them in supermarkets; the local fairs sold doughnuts instead; and my mum didn't really do a lot of baking when I was a kid. So when I came across a photo of some yummy looking churros, I figured it was about time I made some for myself, and see what all the fuss is about.

Oh. My. God.

I thought I liked fried doughnuts. I now love churros.
churros 1
Who knew these little sticks of sweet cinnamon-y dough, that just melt in the mouth, would be like eating heaven. I forgot I'd even made a chocolate sauce to go with them, they were just so delicious.
churros 4
I actually found this recipe in Lorraine Pascale's 'Baking Made Easy' book, so I decided to give her recipe a go, because her book has never let me down before. However, I did find that the dough was too liquid-y when I put it into the piping bag, and it didn't really hold its shape when going into the oil pan. I ended up adding a bit more flour to see if it helped, and it did a little bit, but I'm still going to be looking out for a better churro's recipe.churros 2
Ingredients:
Sunflower oil for frying.

60g Butter
150ml Buttermilk
120g Plain Flour
1tsp Ground Cinnamon
Pinch of Salt
2 Eggs

Caster Sugar and Ground Cinnamon for coating.

Chocolate Sauce:
100g Dark Chocolate
150ml Double Cream

Method:
In a saucepan, heat the butter and buttermilk on a medium heat, until the butter has melted. Then increase the heat until the mixture is boiling. Turn off the heat and add the flour, cinnamon and salt, mixing it all together until the mixture form a soft dough and starts to form away from the sides of the pan.
Leave the dough to cool to room temperature, before adding the eggs one at a time, until the mixture is glossy and smooth.
Meanwhile, fill the oil pan with sunflower oil until the pan is a third full, and turn on the heat. You know the oil is at the right temperature when you put a cube of bread in the pan, and it takes around 45 seconds to brown.
Using a piping bag with a large star nozzle, spoon the churro dough into the piping bag. Holding the piping bag a few inches above the oil pan, pipe the dough into the pan to the desired length, and cut off with some scissors. I think you can do 2-3 strips of dough in the pan without the oil cooling too much.
Keeping an eye on the dough, fry the churros until they are a light golden brown colour on both sides, before removing with a slotted spoon. Make sure to have some kitchen paper ready on a tray to put the churros onto.
Have a plate ready with a mixture of sugar and ground cinnamon, and when the churros are cool enough to handle, roll the churros around in the sugar until completely covered.

To make the chocolate sauce, boil the double cream in a saucepan over a medium heat. When it starts to boil, turn off the heat and add the chocolate. Leave the chocolate to melt, stir together, and serve in a pot.
churros 3
Overall, it wasn't a bad first attempt, and it was enough to make me fall in love with them. So I suppose it was a bit of a success.
If anyone has a go to recipe for churros they'd like to send me, it would be most welcome :)
Sophie x

No comments:

Post a Comment