Monday, 24 March 2014

My First Attempt at an Ombre Cake

I'm really loving the ombré trend in cakes right now. There's some sort of mystery surrounding them, don't you think? From the outside you could have a completely normal cake, but then you cut into it, and suddenly you see a slice of colour in different shades. And you're just like 'What?! Where did that come from?'
I frequently see ombré cakes all over Pinterest, and they always look so pretty. And then I saw this post, which then lead me on to this white cake recipe. I admit I've never really heard of white cake, and really it just looks like a normal vanilla cake, but I had all the ingredients to hand so I figured it was worth a try. Plus it did look like a good base for making an ombré cake.
So on I went to make my first ever ombré cake. And because sometimes I can be an actual girly girl, I thought I'd make my cake pink.
Pink Ombre Cake Pink Ombre Cake
Recipe adapted from Add a Pinch
Ingredients:
334g Butter
3 Cups Caster Sugar
5 Eggs
3 Cups of Plain Flour
2tsp Baking Powder
1/4tsp Salt
1/2 Cup Milk
1/2 Cup Buttermilk
2tsp Vanilla Extract
Food Colouring

Method:
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/350F/180C, and grease and line three 8-inch round cake pans.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar, adding the sugar a cup at a time. Once fully mixed, add the eggs one at a time, making sure the eggs are fully incorporated into the mixture before adding the next one.
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, while in a second bowl or jug, mix together the buttermilk, milk and vanilla extract. Add the flour and milk to the butter mixture a bit at a time, mixing alternately. Gently mix all the ingredients together until all combined.
Add a third of the cake mix straight to one tin, while to the remaining two thirds add a few drops of food colouring to achieve a light shade of your chosen colour. Add half of that mixture to a second cake tin, while to the remaining cake mix add some more food colouring, until it reaches a darker shade. Pour the remaining cake mix into the third cake tin.
Bake the cakes in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until an inserted cake skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven, and leave the cakes to cool in the tins for 5-10 minutes, before transferring over to a wire rack.
When completely cool, assemble the cake, starting with the darkest shade at the bottom, and ending with the lightest at the top, adding some buttercream and jam between each layer.
Cover the cake with buttercream, and decorate with your choice of toppings (I used some freeze-dried raspberry pieces).

If you are stuck for a buttercream recipe, the same website had a pretty good recipe for vanilla buttercream here.
Pink Ombre Cake
This cake really was delicious; it had a really great moist crumb, and was just scrumptious. I have since made the cake again, but with lemon juice instead of vanilla extract, and using lemon curd between the layers, and it was even better. This is definitely a recipe to keep going back to.
Sophie x

No comments:

Post a Comment