Monday, 7 April 2014

Wholemeal English Muffins

I love love love english muffins; I've been eating them since I was a little girl. I would always get excited when I saw my mum had bought some home from shopping, because I just knew I would be eating them for breakfast the next morning. There is nothing better than a freshly toasted muffin smothered in melting butter. That's a bit of heaven right there.
Obviously over the past couple of years as I've been getting into baking my own bread, I decided to have a go at making english muffins myself. And they are so easy, I've made them so many times, especially in the past few months. The only problem is that I never make enough, because they never last more than a day or two.
muffins 1
Normally I make english muffins with just white flour, but I thought it would be a nice change to use some wholemeal flour. There really isn't that much of a difference between them in texture, and they are just as delicious.
muffins 4
Recipe from Savory Simple. Serves 12.
Ingredients:
2 1/4 Cups Wholemeal Flour
2 1/4 Cups Strong White Flour
1 1/4 tsp Salt
1tbsp Sugar
1tsp Baking Soda
2tsp Dried Yeast
1 3/4 Cups Milk
3tbsp Butter
1 Egg
Cornmeal or Semolina

Method:
In a large bowl, mix together the wholemeal and white flour, salt, sugar, baking soda and yeast.
In a saucepan, heat the milk and butter over a medium heat until the butter has melted.
Add the milk/butter mixture to the dry ingredients with the egg, and mix until the dough comes together. If using a stand mixer, leave to mix on medium speed for a few minutes, otherwise knead the dough slightly.
Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and roll out to an inch thickness, and using a round cutter, cut out the muffins, re-rolling the dough as needed. Dust a baking tray with the semolina or cornmeal, and place the muffins on the baking tray. Cover with cling film and leave in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 3/165C/325F. After the 30 minutes, have a skillet pan ready on a medium heat to cook the muffins for 4-5 minutes on each side. Then finish the muffins in the oven for 15 minutes.
muffins 2
muffins 3
Serve warm with butter and jam, and you're all set for the best breakfast ever.
Sophie x

No comments:

Post a Comment