Thursday, 10 July 2014

Baked Ring Doughnuts

donuts
I don't think it is actually possible to put into words just how wonderful I think doughnuts are. Honestly, I'm not even going to give it a go. Let's just all agree that doughnuts are the bomb.
It's getting to the point where I stand at the Krispy Kreme counter at my local supermarket, trying to convince myself I shouldn't buy them, because honestly, nearly £4 for three doughnuts isn't very cost effective, especially as the own brand jam filled doughnuts are five for £1. But they aren't as nice, so I end up going without doughnuts. Woe is my life!

Which of course leads me to baking my own, because really, what other option is there?
donuts 2
Ingredients:
2 Cups Plain Flour
3/4 Cups Caster Sugar
2tsp Baking Powder
1tsp Salt
3/4 Cup Buttermilk
2 Eggs
2tbsp Unsalted Butter, Melted
1tbsp Coloured Sprinkles

100g Icing Sugar
3-4tbsp Water

Method:
Preheat the oven to 230C/ Gas Mark 7/ 425F, and grease a doughnut pan with butter.
In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients, while in a smaller bowl, mix together the buttermilk, eggs and melted butter.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, add the sprinkles, and mix until all combined.
Spoon the batter into the doughnut pan, making sure it's evenly spread throughout the ring.
Bake in the oven for 7-9 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven, and leave the doughnuts in the pan for another 4-5 minutes, before transferring the doughnuts to a cooling rack.

While the doughnuts are cooling, prepare the icing, by mixing the icing sugar and water together until it forms a thick paste, and add some food colouring for decoration.
Once the doughnuts are cool, you can ice them. Either spoon the icing onto the doughnuts and spread it around, or like I did, have the icing in a shallow bowl, and place the doughnuts in the icing upside down, so that you get an even covering of icing.
Quickly cover the icing in sprinkles before it hardens, and hey presto, doughnuts!
donuts 3
These are definitely a winner, and will make me reconsider buying doughnuts ever again. I struggled not to eat the whole lot, they are just so good.
Sophie x

No comments:

Post a Comment